I’m not new to outdoor sports- usually there’s a nice chairlift at the bottom waiting to carry my lazy butt back up the hill.. Here’s what you should consider when backpacking in the snow.
- Warm Boots.
- You’re going to get warm as you walk, but cold when you stop.
- You’re burning more energy- bring some with you.
- You’ll likely be able to go about 1/3 of your normal distance (reads: warm boots are heavy).
- Wear brighter colors (orange!), unless you want to look like a deer during hunting season.
- If you find a lean-to, you don’t need a tent. Just a sleeping bag that covers your face
- Finally- winter stoves “are a thing”, certain types of fuel don’t vaporize below 11F.