Steve-o and I finally had a chance to overnight a trail together. This was his first backpacking adventure a chance for me to finish the second of the two Chautauqua County Overland Trails. We discovered a few important things:
- Highly traffic’d campsites lack firewood for a ~1mi radius
- New hikers will drink pond water right out of the well (no filtering)
- Blisters are the worst- if you’re not careful, you might lose a toenail too
- Bivy Tents are the pwn!
- You can build a fire with wet wood as long as you know how to play Janga
- Steve-o can walk uphill and talk on the phone at the same time
- Don’t camp near windmills. They’re awesome at first- it gets old quick
Appalachian Trail, here we come!